Saturday, December 24, 2011

Future cirrhosis, presently gone

Finally, the once-beloved mini-bar is all gone, given away. The final tally included:

- Reds: I liked them full-bodied, just like I like my... Dosas. Ahem. The Malbecs would have been especially nice.
- Whites: there were only a couple of bottles. I learned to appreciate whites, previously considered sissy, only on my trip to NZ in 2008. Hence the disproportionately small horde.
- Vodka: ah to be young and stupid. That is what vodka evokes. Several flavors of Absolut, out.
- Cognac: giving away some Martell, I kicked myself for not having tried (or did I...?) Armenian "cognac", which Churchill supposedly drank exclusively. Just as well, he was a major asshole.
- Rum: including silly Malibu, Bacardi white and gold, and Myers dark. Having "Malibu" in my bar was reason enough to dismantle it. Geez.
- Gin: staple Tanqueray and my very special cache of Hendricks. It was like imagining giving away my daughter at her wedding. I hope she elopes.
- Whiskeys: including bourbon and a heavenly single malt - Laphroaig - the only whiskey I've ever liked.
- Mixers: no bar is complete without some good mixers. I never built a complete line, but did have Cointreau (representing the triple sec family needed for, among others, margaritas) and several bottles of sweet and dry vermouth (Martini!).
- Liqueurs: mm-mm, Drambuie.
- Asian fare: sakes, sojus and makgeoli.

There you have it. I may have missed a few things, but I blame it on the dead brain cells. Which will happen less on future.

As someone disgusted by this overtly commercial and covertly propagandistic time of the year, I'm torn about wishing you season's greetings. But hey, even the Humanists were partying for the Winter Solstice (seriously - at the Mint bar on Seah street yesterday)...  after all celebrating the solstice long predates the season's arbitrary appropriation by an organized faith. And therefore, much more meaningful, not to mention having a scientific and astronomical relevance.

... So happy holidays everyone! Go pagans!!

1 comment:

deviousdiv said...

Yes thanks for telling us you threw away all your swag-- but why? I'm not buying the future cirrhosis arguement.

Although after last friday, one would think I'd have learnt. Good sake mixed with bad tequila and god know what else equals to a bad experience.

Urgh. I may never drink again. Ever.