Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Manly man - part 2

I do not know whether to laugh or cry at the increasing usage of English in China these days. I just read an editorial in China Daily defending the country's veto of the UN vote on Syria.

But a much scarier (mis)use of the language occurred at lunch. The waiter, after taking my order, came back to ask smilingly "how old are you?" I was immediately on guard. Gamely, I smiled and asked him what he thought, to which he accurately guessed my age. I think this was the Chinese secret police hinting that they follow me and my inner-Lama closely. Please see previous articles to understand my inner-Lama.

Anyway, after this, he went on to comment that I looked like a "man's man." Confused and panicking, I looked around for the nearest exit, in case I was propositioned, and asked him in a croaky voice what he meant.  He then gestured, swiping both hands parallel to the sides of his head (presumably implying I need to start a dyeing regime), and some vague gestures suggesting perhaps that I am fat and or I have broad shoulders. He gave a thumbs up and smiled encouragingly. Thankfully he then left.

So there you go. English has arrived well and truly in the Chinese capital. I am now looking forward to going to the gym, dyeing my hair and making more than eye contact with the previously ignored, largely tongue-tied waitresses. Anyway, frankly, I think it comes down to facial hair.

On a serious note, as with everything else, moderation in scale and pace is important. When you see Indian women with piercings or Bangladeshi blue-collar workers in Singapore walking hand in hand or a Chinese waiter making small talk in English, not knowing the cultural context can be confusing.

No comments: